Now we all want web pages to load as fast as possible whether we are the site visitor or owner, page loading speed is a top prioritey. Here are some statistics you need to be aware of.
- 83% of users expect web pages to load in 3 seconds or less
- 40% of people are very likely to leave a website if it takes more than three seconds to load.
- 25% of users will abandon a webpage if it takes more than 4 seconds to load
- 1 Second delay in a pages load speed can reduce your conversions by 7%
- 47% of shoppeers want your website to load under
- 21% shopper exit shopping carts because of slow processing
The big factor these days in keeping traffic on your website is page speed. Not only is keeping your traffic from bouncing off of your website important but having a faster website is proven to icrease conversions as well. If thats not important enough for you knowing that Google is now ranking faster loading sites higher should be.
In essence having a fast loading website is a win in everyway. To break ot down A fast loading web site will rank higher, keep traffic on your site longer and increase your conversions which all boil down to one main thing. More money!!! Thats what we all want and the reason why most websites are created to begin with. Now in knowing this then the big question people ask is how to make my website load faster? In this article you will find both free and paid ways to make yout websites load faster.
Just to let all my readers know If you are a premium member of Wealthy Affiliate you automatically have access to a proprietary technology called SiteSpeed at a click of a button. It’s free to sign up and If you go decide to go premium like I did you have unlimited access to everything they have to offer (which is a lot). If you’d like to see my honest Wealthy Affiliate review [Click Here]
Test Your Websites Page Load Speed
A couple tools you can use to help test your websites load speed and see where you stand are Googles Pagespeed Insights for Googles optimization scores and the Think With Google tool . Another great website load speed tester is Pingdom and it’s used by many. All are free to use and helpful in knowing how fast your website is and what needs to be improved.It is recommended that you run the speed tests 3 times and use the average of the 3 results.
Pagespeed insights is a Google tool and there are many benefits to using it. The benefits to using Pagespeed insights are:
- Complete list of the issues that affect your websites load speed.
- Mobile and Desktop Optimization scores from 0-100 on how fast your website
- Mobile and Desktop Page Speed (note: this may not show up if you have a newer website and you will have to use the Think With Google tool or the Pingdom tool for page speed
- Ways to fix your websites speed issues (Although from personal experience it is much easier to Google or Bing search a solution to those specif problems and ffnd out what works best for each individual issue. At least in my case this was a much easier route to take and will be easier for any beginner or even intermediate website owner that is not experienced in web coding or useing technical computer terms.
Note: PageSpeed Insights may not be real time accurate. The information can be up to a week old. Still a very useful tool in regards to knowing where you stand for page speed and the certain elements that must be dealt with in order to fix them.
The Think With Google tool gives has a few benefits to using:
- Accurate speed tests
- Market research and Digital trends ( If your in marketing its worth taking a look at Think With Google to see what they have to offer)
- Reliable Page Speed Monitoring
- Transaction Monitoring
- Real User Monitoring
- Uptime Monitoring
Best Paid and Free Ways To Increase Your Websites Load Speed
Time Saver Note: If you don’t want to read the whole article and just want the top picks for each method of speeding up your website then scroll to the bottom of the article.
1.Leverage Browser Caching
Getting a paid plugin is your best bet if you are an affiliate marketer or have an online business. Most of these are inexpensive and worth the money. If you are going to invest in anything you can’t lose investing in yourself and your business. These are the best plugins on the market, some you may have already heard of but they are all well worth the expense.
If you don’t know coding and want to solve the issue of browser caching quickly and effectively then I highly recommend using plugins. All are free except WP Rocket (because its the best) and they can be upgraded at any time for better performance If you don’t have the money right away.
- WP Rocket– Price:$39 for 1 year of support and updates. you can upgrade your plan if you have multiple websites. Most popular premium plugin. One of the highest selling widely used cache plugin there is. Many use WP Rocket and its highly recommended as the best on the market. By far the best for an inexpensive price you will not be disappointed purchasing WP Rocket.
- WP Super Cache – Over 1 Million Downloads (The tests I researched involving WP Super Cache show that this plugin is slower than WP Fastest Cache)
- W3 Total Cache– Over 1 million Downloads (The default settings are not usually great. Unless you know how how to reconfigure the settings the right way you should look up a tutorial online to guide you)
Add Cache-Control Headers and E-Tag Headers in HTTP headers
Im not going to get into all the technical mumbo Jumbo terms and methods for this but I will tell you simply what you need to do.
- Edit hta access file to get in-depth instructions on how to do this just visit this site [Click Here]
In my opinion its much easier to just use a plugin. Within a few minutes your problem is solved and you can move onto your next objective.
2.Enable GZIP Compression
Enabling GZip Compression is a very popular way to speed up your website. You can reduce the response time by around 70% using this method.
My personal favorite is using a plugin it’s quick and easy:
Use any of the Cache plugins I recommended, go to settings and check the box to add HTTP compression
For Coding methods:
Add the following code to your .htaccess file to reduce response time
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
# Or, compress certain file types by extension:
or at the top of your HTML/PHP file you can use this PHP code:
3.Use a CDN– “A content delivery network (CDN) is a system of distributed servers (network) that deliver pages and other Web content to a user, based on the geographic locations of the user, the origin of the web page and the content delivery server. … CDNs also provide protection from large surges in traffic”-Webopedia
There are many different CDN’s you can use but the best ones that I recommend to use are the following:
*All of these companies stop DDoS attacks and and have top of the line security*
- Incapsula-free trails for pro and business memberships. they also have a free plan for personal websites or bloggers.
- Used on more than 530,000 websites along with top companies such as T-Mobile, Moz, WIX, XOOM, Siemens and IATA, GoEast
- StackPath– This is a newer company that has acquired MAXCDN which you may know is a highly rated cdn company some would say even the best…that is until StackPath arrived on the scene. They also purchased Highwinds another large company in this sector. StackPath is here to stay and is rapidly taking over the cdn industry. They have all the benefits of MAXCDN and more they will most likely be towards the top of my list and stay that way for a long time.
- CloudFlare– Very popular company widely known and used. Many happy customers. they are proven as a reliable cdn to use.
I was going to add KeyCDN to this list but they’ve had many negative reviews because of their price and dishonesty with it’s customers. I want to only guide my readers to legitimate and honest companies. KeyCDN does do a good job performance wise but their price is too inflated and they make false promises.
4 Image Optimization
Use Plugins: Again and again plugins can be your best friends. they are the go to when it comes to image optimization. If you have the means to afford it I highly recommend getting a paid plugin. These are the best ones to choose from.
Very reliable and efficient image optimizer. Extremely efficient under rated plugin. Many 5 star reviews and happy customers for ShortPixel
- Over 80,000 active installations
- No file size limit
- it is safe to test and use the plugin: all the original images can be restored with a click, either one by one or in bulk
- Option to include the generated WebP images into the front-end pages by using the
- Option to freely convert any JPEG, PNG or GIF (even the animated ones) to WebP for more Google love
- This plugin connects to a cloud image optimization service
- ability to optimize any image on your site including images in NextGEN Gallery and any other image galleries or sliders
- 24/7 Support
- works well with both HTTPS and HTTP websites
- you can run ShortPixel plugin on multiple websites or on a multisite with a single API Key
EWWW Image Optimizer This is the first image optimizer I ever used and was recommended to all Wealthy Affiliate members to install. (I used the basic version of this and another image optimization as well and have had great results)
- No Speed Limits and unlimited file size. Using automatic Background Optimization and optional Parallel Optimization, get rid of upload delays and get back to doing what you love.
- Smooth Handling with pixel-perfect optimization using industry-leading tools and progressive rendering.
- High Torque as we bring you the best compression/quality ratio available with our lossy options for JPG, PNG, and PDF files.
- Adaptive Steering with intelligent conversion options to get the right image format for the job (JPG, PNG, or GIF).
- Free Parking The core plugin is free and always will be. Additionally, if you choose the API, you never pay for an image we can’t compress, you are never billed for a month you do not use the API, and pre-paid credits never expire. Plus, get WebP image generation at no extra cost: any JPG or PNG can be converted to Google’s next-generation image format.
- Comprehensive Coverage: no image gets left behind, optimize everything on your site, beyond just the WordPress Media Library.
- Safety First: all communications are secured with top SSL encryption.
- Roadside Assistance: top-notch support is in our DNA. While API customers get top priority, we answer every single support question with care.
- Pack a Spare: free image backups store your original images for 30 days.
WP Smush– This plugin is simple to use and will let you compress your image 50 at time with one click. I like this one a lot and its highly rated. The good thing about this one is that it’s free and you can always upgrade at a later date.
5.Get Rid of Bulkly Plugins
minimize use of bulky plugins and find better alternatives as much as possible. Plugins that load a lot of scripts and have many styles can slow your web page loading speed down so avoid them if possible. Social plugins can slow down your loading speed, so when it comes to them find yourself a quality plugin. If you want to find out what plugins are slowing your page speed the most then download the P3 (Plugin Performance Profile). Once you find which plugins are slowing you down and replace them with new ones then you can just delete P3 if you wish. This is a easy way to speed up your web page loading.
6. Clean up WordPress Database
WordPress Advanced Database Cleaner– This is a plugin that cleans up your WordPress data base. If you have been using WordPress for a while then this is a must have tool. It gets rid of all the junk such as drafts, revisions, orphan options, orphan tables, spam comments, etc. It will also make your backup data files smaller. This plugin will help your site run faster and more efficient. They have a free option but i recommend getting the paid option for a couple reasons.
First its only a one time payment unlike others that can be monthly and yearly payments. Secondly the paid option is much more efficient and inexpensive. For a single site it’s a one time payment of 29.90 and it can go up in price the more sites you want to cover. If you have many websites then this even a better option for you because you have a one time payment of $199.00 and all your sites are covered for life. My guess is if you have multiple websites then you have a decent amount of income available so this is definitely worth the investment.
Upgrade Your Website Hosting Plan
If your website has a lot of traffic and you are hosted on a shared network then upgrading your web hosting plan or switching networks is a great option. If you have already implemented the above recommendations and are still lagging in load time then definitely make the switch. Check out my article on Best Web Hosting Services
Note: If your already on a very strong shared network but still lack the speed after doing what i recommended to improve your site speed then start the list at my #2 pick which is Siteground.
The only reason I say this is because Wealthy Affiliate is my #1 pick but it is shared hosting so if you need a different source then start the search at SIteGround then move down the list. If this is your situation then SiteGround or WP Engine are probably the best options for you. I tell you this only because I want my readers to know the truth and have access to the best knowledgeable information available so you can make a good choice for yourself and not the companies that want your hard earned money.
Quick Answers To Speed Up Your Site
So to sum it up few simple things to speed up your website page speed are:
1.Leverage Browser Cache
My Top Recommended Fix:WP Rocket
2.Enable GZIP Compression- My Top Recommended Fix:Check and Enable GZIP compression or use WP Rocket and adjust in settings
4.Use a CDN– My Top Recommended Fix: Incapsula or StackPath
5.Get Rid of Bulky Plugins- My Top Recommended Fix:
6. Clean up WordPress Database– My Top Recommended Fix: WordPress Advanced Database Cleaner
Or avoid these problems and become a Premium Member at Wealthy Affiliate using their SiteSpeed Technology (Links Below)
I just wanted to add again at the end of this post why choosing Wealthy Affiliate is a much better alternative for a very high percentage or website and blog owners. Instead of having to worry about most of this stuff for website speed it’s already taken care by their proprietary SiteSpeed technology when you’re a Premium member for only $49 a month (First month only $19). This is certainly much cheaper than paying for all these these recommended options combined.
Speed is only one of the advantages to being a member of Wealthy Affiliate. Honestly if I didn’t find Wealthy Affiliate I probably would never even have a single website to begin with. I learned pretty much everything I know about creating a successful online business thanks to them. Now they are usually advertised as a training program on how to create and grow your own website. As well as how to get traffic and how to convert that traffic into money in many different ways.
My point is this that Wealthy Affiliate can help you in so many ways saving you time and energy on things like website speed so you can focus on other important tasks instead of worrying about all the technical stuff. If you ever have a issue or question regarding anything you can always ask the community members or support staff there for help and you receive an answer in a couple minutes.
If I seem like I’m obsessed with Wealthy Affiliate well it’s because I am. They were the first legit way I found to make real money online after years of searching and getting scammed or under delivered. Wealthy Affiliate delivers on everything they say and more, that’s why I proudly stand by them and recommend them to my readers.
To start your free membership at Wealthy Affiliate [Click Here] to sign up.
If you would like to see my personal honest Wealthy Affiliate review that tells you everything you need to know [Click Here]